Sunday, June 19, 2011

OPA Sunny Isles, Fl. Offshore Race

Story by Matt Trulio
www.speedonthewater.com/


Even though Edward Smith, the head of the Offshore Powerboat Association, has a full name, the only one he needs among the OPA faithful is “Smitty.” (He’s like Madonna and Prince that way.) When I caught with him yesterday before the Sunny Isles OPA race, he was busy getting his own “Wazzup” boats ready (he races one Fountain with his son Anthony in Super V and then Anthony races in another Activator as “Wazzup II” in Class 6 with younger son Nicholas) and overseeing the activity in the pits for the whole race.

“When people ask me how I run a race organization and also race, I tell them that’s why I run a race organization, so I can race,” he said.

Smitty explained his organization’s essence, Read more...

Click here to view PHOTOS

No comments: